SDS

Post interesting articles on HPV here.

Moderator: moldy

SDS

Postby guy » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:07 pm

Detergent Kills HIV & Human Papilloma Virus in a test tube
Reported in the Toronto Star Newspaper by Kerry Gillespie. Staff Reporter. Feb. 13 1999.

Researchers have discovered that a common detergent found in shampoo and toothpaste kills HIV in a test tube.

When HIV was mixed with sodium dodecyl sulfate (SDS), and then added to human cells, they survived, said Mary Howett, a lead researcher at the Penn State University medical centre in Hershey PA.

"There was a total killing of the virus," Howett said yesterday in a telephone interview.

The compound SDS was also found to kill herpes, the human pampilloma virus blamed for virtually all cases of cervical cancer, and the bacteria that causes chlamydia, the most common sexually transmitted disease, Howett said.

The study was funded by the U.S. National Institue of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and the Jake Gittlen Cancer Researcg Institue in Pennsylvania.

While researchers are thrilled with their findings and hope to begin testing in humans in six months, Howett is being cautious.

SDS could be added to a long list of substances that work better in the lab than in humans, she said. ' it's easier to kill a cell in a culture than in tissue."

When used on human tissue grown in special mice, SDS stopped the warts caused by Human Pampilloma virus from growing, she said.

Human Pampilloma Virus is blamed for virtually all cases of cervical cancer, which kills 25,000 women every year.

Toothpaste in particular contains high levels of SDS, but Howett said women seeking to project themselves from the disease should not try to use toothpaste or shampoo.

"Products on the market now are not formulated for the genital tract and it won't stay in the genital tract," said Howett, who added that internal use of the toothpaste and shampoo would likely cause serious irritation.
guy
H-ercules Poster
H-ercules Poster

Postby guy » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:15 pm

another article same thing.......

Prevent cervical cancer with your toothpaste!?

OK, it's not quite that dramatic. But researchers recently announced that a detergent currently used in toothpastes and shampoos killed Human Papilloma virus (HPV). HPV is transmitted sexually, and is cause of genital warts. It is believed to trigger cervical cancer, in women who are exposed to it, even if they never develop warts.

What is it?
The active ingredient, called Sodium dodecyl sulfate (or SDS) killed HPV in a laboratory study. The researchers commented on the low concentrations, and brief contact time needed to get the desired results. Your average bottle of Herbal Essence shampoo is 10% SDS. This study's potion of "HPV Kill" was 0.1%, or a thousand times less. Furthermore, we already know SDS is generally safe for skin and mucous membrane contact. "Mucous membranes" is the name for the type of skin that lines the inside of the mouth, vulva, and vagina. Whoa, they thought, it probably won't irritate vaginal tissue, its cheap, don't need much, and it doesn't take long to kill a likely cancer-causing virus!

Potential Problems with This "Miracle Cure"
Don't add Crest to your douche yet (in fact, don't douche). They estimate 2-5 years before a product could be on the market. And it's not just time--there are several potential problems to be addressed. Needless to say, your vulva and vagina are not lab benches. Viruses are actually very fragile and easily killed by many things when exposed directly. But, in real life, they don't even get exposed to things directly because they live inside your cells, which protect them. We have millions of things (like air) that kill AIDS in a lab, but none that work in people. The only opportunity is to nab HPV is as they pass from one partner to another. And while the tissue lining the vagina is similar to the mouth, the types of normal bacteria that are housed there are not.

The first hurdle will be making sure SDS really doesn't irritate the vulva and vagina directly. Secondly, that it does not destroy the normal balance of bacteria and organisms in the vagina. Thirdly, will it destroy HPV in real live woman? Even if this all works, will women actually use it? Presumably, she would have to douche with this concoction right after unprotected sex. Once the virus got inside her cervical cells, it would be too late to get them. If it all pans out--on-line sex and relationship advisers will be brimming with advice on how to gracefully make that post-coital trip to the bathroom and how to negotiate two wet spots.

The Bottom Line

Common toothpaste ingredient has been shown to kill HPV in the lab.
HPV, a sexually transmitted disease, is one possible cause of cervical cancer.
Researchers must prove SDS will not disturb the normal vaginal environment.
Researchers must prove SDS will kill HPV in women.
Possible post-coital douche product in 2-5 years.
guy
H-ercules Poster
H-ercules Poster

Postby i'm_bummed » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:34 am

I also have read that common soap can kill the virus as well. Just like it kills a virus on your hands when you wash them after being exposed to a cold. However, I made sure to wash everytime I came into contact with my partner (who had/has HPV) and it obviously didn't make a difference b/c I now have gw's. Maybe I just didn't wash good enough.
i'm_bummed
Super H-elper
Super H-elper

Postby Artemis » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:03 am

soap doesn't kill viruses. Not common soap at least. Anti-bacterial soap doesn't kill viruses either. But I believe that anti-microbal soap does...but you have to get that through a medical supply place.
And actually viruses aren't even alive.
Common soap deosn't kill bacteria either...it just makes it wash off....
*Argue not with dragons, for thou art crunchy and go well with brie*
Artemis
Super H-ero!
Super H-ero!

Postby guy » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:41 am

what is considered common soap? sodium dodecyl sulfate is a common surfactant in soaps and denatures and unfolds proteins
guy
H-ercules Poster
H-ercules Poster

Postby Artemis » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:23 pm

well I checked every soap in my house...and shampoo...and none of them had SDS in them...so I wonder how common that ingredient really is.
Artemis
Super H-ero!
Super H-ero!

Postby guy » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:35 am

well, it has many names....try SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE...most of the top brands have it
guy
H-ercules Poster
H-ercules Poster

Postby Artemis » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:33 pm

are you sure that is the same thing as sds? wouldnt that be sls?
Artemis
Super H-ero!
Super H-ero!

Postby guy » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:53 am

yes, I will not go into the nomenclature of chemical compounds...I would rather keep my organic chemistry days behind me....You can check with the IUPAC, they set the rules for naming compounds...many compounds have several names
guy
H-ercules Poster
H-ercules Poster

Postby Artemis » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:20 am

ah ok...good to know.....makes me feel better...thank you guy :-)
Artemis
Super H-ero!
Super H-ero!

Return to HPV in the News